Saturday, 29 June 2013

"THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID THE GREAT WHAT IF IS TO DEAL WITH THE IF"

If I brought you a cloak
    embroidered with stars
        a staff & a crown & a steed
            would you mount it?

If I laid out a carpet
    from my veins of bright red
        if I bled & I bled
            would you walk it?

If I sent you a bird
    with a song yet unheard
        if it came in a cage
            would you free it?

If I wove silk from corn
    if I turned wheat to gold
        would you wrap yourself up?
            Would you count it?

If I gave you a colt
    with a horn in his head
        would you hold out your hand?
            Would you feed it?

If I cast down my hair
    with its stiff strands of grey
        if I unwound the braid
            would you climb it?

If I offered my head
    on a carved wooden plate
        if I died, if I'm dead
            would you grieve it?

If I hand you an apple
    from my orchard of hearts
        -- it is ripe, it is red --
            will you eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment